Looking back on our honeymoon trip to Asia and Oceania, I’m left with one question: “How can we quit our jobs and just travel the rest of our lives?” Well, I don’t have the answer to that, but I at least want to recap our adventure if for no other reason than to relive it once more!
Planning the trip
Planning for this trip started about a year in advance. Rather than registering for wedding gifts at various stores, we decided instead to register for a Honeyfund. This helped TREMENDOUSLY in funding the dream trip I was hoping for.
We first picked the countries we knew without a doubt that we wanted to see: Thailand and New Zealand. We have friends living in both countries and there’s no better way to experience a new place than with someone who actually lives there! I then spent hours and HOURS contemplating the various options for flights. It ended up looking something like this:
This breaks down to:
- Geneva to Istanbul (4 hour layover) to Bangkok (Turkish Airlines)
- Bangkok to Sukothai (Bangkok Airways)
- Sukothai to Chiang Mai (Private Driver)
- Chiang Mai to Phuket (AirAsia)
- Phuket to Sydney (Jetstar)
- Sydney to Queenstown (Jetstar)
- Queenstown to Sydney (Jetstar)
- Sydney to Bali (AirAsia)
- Bali to Bangkok (AirAsia)
- Bangkok to Istanbul (1 day layover) to Geneva (Turkish Airlines)
Why such a crazy itinerary? Well, in a nutshell, it was cheaper. Breaking the trip up into smaller legs allowed us add a few destinations in (Bali, Sydney, Istanbul) for a couple days each and made the overall cost much lower.
Once we had the flights booked, I started in with the smaller details of what to do and where to stay. And while I may be using the word “I”, I did consult with Kelley along the way since it was OUR honeymoon. But I love travel planning and I don’t think he minds me wearing the travel agent pants. 🙂
Day by Day Itinerary
Here’s what our final itinerary looked like (literally):
Yes, I made it into a booklet. I feel like that was required as a graphic designer. But it’s a kind of like a souvenir now, right? Yes. Need one for your upcoming trip? Contact me and I’ll gladly assist!
But here’s what was IN the itinerary:
- Day 1 – Bangkok, Thailand: Arrive in Bangkok at 9:45am | Evening Tuk Tuk Tour
- Day 2 – Bangkok, Thailand: Rattanakosin Story Walking Tour | The Grand Palace & Wat Pho
- Day 3 – Bangkok, Thailand: Jim Thompson House | Red Cross Snake Center
- Day 4 – Fly from Bangkok to Sukothai, Thailand
- Day 5 – Sukothai Historical Park | Drive to Chiang Mai | Night Market
- Day 6 – Chiang Mai: Elephant Sanctuary | Tree house resort
- Day 7 – Chiang Mai: Tree house resort
- Day 8 – Chiang Mai: Street Food Tour
- Day 9 – Fly from Chiang Mai to Phuket, Thailand
- Day 10 – Phuket, Thailand: Boat tour of Phi Phi islands | Christmas Day!
- Day 11 – Phuket, Thailand: Boat tour of Phang Nga Bay
- Day 12 – Phuket, Thailand: Laguna Beach
- Day 13 – Phuket, Thailand: Laguna Beach | Fly from Phuket to Sydney, Australia
- Day 14 – Sydney, Australia: Coogee Beach
- Day 15 – Sydney, Australia: Featherdale Wildlife Park | Pub Crawl
- Day 16 – Sydney, Australia:
Coogee Beach | New Year’s Eve!
- Day 17 – Sydney, Australia: Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach Walk
- Day 18 – Fly from Sydney to Queenstown, New Zealand | Drive to Wanaka
- Day 19 – Wanaka, New Zealand
- Day 20 – Drive from Wanaka to Franz Josef Glacier
- Day 21 – Drive from Franz Josef over Arthur’s Pass to Christchurch
- Day 22 – Drive from Christchurch to Fairlie | Lake Tekapo
- Day 23 – Drive from Fairlie to Wanaka
- Day 24 – Drive from Wanaka to Te Anau
- Day 25 – Drive from to Te Anau to Milford Sound | Boat tour of Milford Sound | Drive to Queenstown
Sydney, Bali, Istanbul, Geneva
- Day 26 – Fly from Queenstown to Sydney, Australia
- Day 27 – Fly from Sydney to Densapar, Bali
- Day 28 – Fly from Bali to Bangkok
- Day 29 – Fly from Bangkok to Istanbul
- Day 30 – Fly from Istanbul to Geneva, Switzerland | HOME!
Share this Post!